Alysha Blackwell has worked at UniSports Sports Medicine since 2004. As well as this, she works for the NZ Academy of Sport providing physiotherapy services for elite sportspeople, in particular hockey athletes, working as part of an interprofessional team.
Alysha enjoys working with a variety of age groups, from children to seniors, helping them to overcome injury to achieve their goals. She is especially interested in sports injury prevention, with a focus on improving movement patterns as well as flexibility and strength.
Alysha has previously been heavily involved in multisport and adventure racing, as well as a multitude of other sports. She believes this is an advantage when working with athletes of all levels to aid in providing a holistic approach to injury management and prevention.
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy, Otago University
- Graduate Diploma in Sports Manual Therapy, University of Western Australia
- Post Graduate Certificate in Health Sciences: Western Acupuncture
- Member of New Zealand Society of Physiotherapists, and Sports Medicine New Zealand
Involvement with Teams and Associations:
- Medical Coordinator - Hockey New Zealand.
- Physiotherapist for NZ Men’s and Women’s hockey teams on various tours, 2009-2011
- Physiotherapist for NZ Football Ferns Beijing Olympics 2008.
- Physiotherapist for Junior Blacksticks Men’s Hockey Team 2007-2009
- Cycling NZ Physiotherapist for BMX team 2009; tours with road and track teams 2008
- Physiotherapist Midlands Women’s Hockey team NHL 2007-2009
- Physiotherapist Northern under 21 Men’s Hockey Team 2008-2009
- Physiotherapist Auckland Club Rugby 2005-2006
- All sport, both participating and spectating.
- The outdoors.
- Snowboarding, offroad running, touch rugby, cycling, mountain biking and swimming
- Languages – Spanish
- Travelling. In particular with mission trips and sports teams
- Helping with youth ministry whenever possible